For all patients having at least one of the below symptoms – please DO NOT come in to the Practice. Our doctors offer phone consultations. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and a doctor will ring you back as soon as possible.
COVID-19 is a new illness that can affect your lungs and airways. It’s caused by a virus called coronavirus.
Symptoms of coronavirus
It can take up to 14 days for symptoms of coronavirus to appear.
The main symptoms to look out for are:
Other symptoms are fatigue, headaches, sore throat, aches and pains.
The National Public Health Emergency Team has advised anyone who has symptoms to self-isolate for 14 days.
When you may need to call a doctor
For most people who have these symptoms now, it is more likely to be an infection that is not coronavirus.
You only need to phone a doctor if you have symptoms and any of the following apply to you:
- you have travelled from an affected area
- you are a close contact of a confirmed case in Ireland – if you are, the Department of Public Health will contact you
This is only a guide but close contact can mean:
- spending more than 15 minutes face-to-face contact within 2 metres of an infected person
- living in the same house or shared accommodation as an infected person
Anyone with symptoms of coronavirus who has been in close contact with a confirmed case in the last 14 days should:
- isolate themselves from other people – this means going into a different, well-ventilated room alone, with a phone
- phone their GP, or emergency department
- in a medical emergency (if you have severe symptoms) phone 112 or 999
Help slow the spread of coronavirus
As the number of coronavirus cases has increased, social distancing is now more important. This means self-isolation and limiting social interactions.
To help slow the spread of coronavirus:
- anyone who has symptoms should self-isolate for 14 days
- everyone should limit unnecessary social contact as much as possible
- at-risk groups should avoid close contact with people outside the home
When you may need to be tested for coronavirus
You will need to be tested for coronavirus if you have symptoms and have in the last 14 days been:
Your doctor may also suggest you are tested for coronavirus if you have a severe lung infection.
If your doctor thinks that you need a test for coronavirus, they will tell you where the test will be done. They will also tell you when to expect your results. Please note – the testing is not done in a our GP Practice.