Definition: Surgery involving little risk to the life of the patient, specifically an operation on the superficial structures of the body e.g. skin, or a manipulative procedure that does not involve a serious risk e.g. joint.
All appropriate excision specimens are sent for histological examination to a pathology laboratory.
More technically challenging procedures are referred to a consultant plastic surgeon.
Examples of procedures that we perform:
- Removal of skin sebaceous cysts
- Excision of certain skin cancers, e.g. basal cell carcinoma
- Removal of pigmented skin lesions, e.g. moles
- Incision and drainage of skin abscess
- Suturing of lacerations
- Wedge resection (or complete removal) of infected ingrown toenail
- Removal of skin tags
- Excision of lip mucocoele
- Skin “punch” biopsy
- Wound debridement and dressings, e.g. burns
- Joint aspiration/injections, e.g. shoulder, knee
- Cryotherapy (freezing) of benign skin lesions, e.g. warts, verrucas